2023-2024 Course Catalog

Information for Veterans, Servicemembers and Eligible Dependents

VA Education Benefits

Normandale Community College is an approved Institute of Higher Learning (IHL) for federal education benefits from the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). All associate degrees and certificates are certified as approved educational programs by the Minnesota State Approving Agency and VA. Students attending Normandale may apply for and use these benefits:

  • Post-9/11 GI Bill® (Chapter 33)
  • Montgomery GI Bill® Active Duty (Chapter 30) or Selected Reserve (Chapter 1606)
  • Dependents’ Educational Assistance (Chapter 35)
  • Fry Scholarship
  • Veteran Readiness and Employment (Chapter 31)

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at http://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill.

Enrollment Certification to VA

Each semester, students must notify the School Certifying Official of their intention to use VA education benefits. At the time of registration, students complete the VA & Military Benefits Request Form found online at www.normandale.edu/veterans to disclose their benefit selection. Upon receipt and processing of the form, a tuition deferment is granted for the specified semester. Additional documents may be required from the student to verify eligibility for benefits.

The college will certify enrollment according to the guidelines set forth by VA. Whenever possible, certifications will be sent to VA prior to the start of the semester to help ensure timely processing of benefit payments. In general, benefits are not applicable to unnecessary elective courses, online courses numbered below 1000, and audited courses. Students should meet with the School Certifying Official when they have questions about if and how benefits can be used for their registered courses.

According to VA policy, the student is responsible for submitting official transcripts for all previous coursework by the end of the first term of enrollment. Transfer credit will be granted in accordance with college policy. Additionally, the student is responsible for notifying the certifying official of changes in enrollment (course adds, drops, and withdrawals) and changes in declared degree/program.

Normandale Community College complies with Minnesota Statute 197.775, which exceeds all criteria of Title 38 United States Code Section 3679(e).

For additional information about VA education benefits, contact the School Certifying Official at veteransbenefits@normandale.edu.

Federal Tuition Assistance

Normandale Community College has signed the Department of Defense (DOD) Voluntary Education Partnership Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) and is approved to process Federal Tuition Assistance (FTA) for all of its degree programs.  FTA is available to qualifying individuals currently serving in the Armed Forces.  Each service branch has specific FTA policies and annual funding limits.  Questions about FTA eligibility should be directed to an education officer prior to course enrollment. 

Priority Registration

Students who have self-disclosed their military service (past or present), or are using military-related funding like tuition assistance, or are using VA education benefits are eligible for priority registration. A student’s first semester registration occurs during new student orientation, therefore priority registration is granted for the second and subsequent semesters at Normandale. Priority registration refers to the first day and first timeslot of a registration cycle for the upcoming semester. Students are encouraged to review their Registration Window in eServices to confirm that priority registration is in place. Questions can be directed to the Veterans Advisor at VeteransResourceCenter@normandale.edu. 

Course Interruption Due to Military Service, Medical Conditions and Medical Treatment

Adapted from Minnesota State Procedure 5.12.1

Students called to active duty for military service which will interrupt their course of study are expected to communicate upcoming absences to their instructors as soon as possible. Faculty may request written documentation to verify the absences. Instructors and students should discuss the anticipated duration of the absence to help determine the most suitable of the following options:

  1. Completion of the course. Class sessions missed by the student due to performance of active military service must be counted as excused absences and cannot be used to adversely impact the student’s grade or standing in the class. However, the student is not automatically excused from completing assignments due during the time period when the student is performing active military service. Instructors may arrange for adjustments to or accommodations for course content, assignments, due dates, etc. as they see fit, given the student’s situation. Students must note that course completion may not be feasible in all situations.
  2. Delayed completion of the course. An instructor may issue the temporary grade of I (Incomplete) and the student is allowed to complete the course upon fulfillment of their military service or release from active duty. Students must note that delayed course completion may not be feasible in all situations.
  3. Course drop/withdrawal and refund. The student may file a Refund/Drop/Withdrawal Appeal, available from Records and Registration, and provide a copy of their active duty orders with the appeal form. Refunds are subject to college, state, and federal financial aid policies.

Veterans with service-connected disabilities whose medical conditions and/or medical appointments interrupt their course of study are allowed the same options as described above. Students are expected to communicate their upcoming absences to their instructors as soon as possible, may be asked to provide documentation of their absences to their instructors, and are encouraged to consult with their instructors on options for course completion or withdrawal.

Students and faculty with questions about this policy should contact the Veterans Advisor at VeteransResourceCenter@normandale.edu.