2023-2024 Course Catalog

Student Complaint and Grievance Process

Normandale Community College is part of the Minnesota State Colleges and Universities System (Minnesota State) of public two and four year institutions of higher education designated by Minnesota Statutes Chapter 136F and governed by the Board of Trustees of the Minnesota State College and Universities. Normandale Community College is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools (HLC). If you wish to file a complaint about Normandale Community College with the HLC, you may do so by contacting: Higher Learning Commission, 230 S. LaSalle Street, Suite 7-500, Chicago, IL 60604-1413.

Normandale Community College takes student complaints and grievances seriously. If you have a complaint about Normandale, we encourage you to utilize the Institution’s Student Complaint and Grievance Process provided in Minnesota State Board Policy 3.8 and System Procedure 3.8.1 by completing and submitting a “Student Complaint/Grievance Form.” If your grievance involves a Board Policy, the actions of the Normandale Community College President, an issue of institutional or program quality such as an institution’s compliance with the standards of an accrediting or licensing agency, or a claim of consumer fraud or deceptive trade practices, you may appeal to the Minnesota State System Office pursuant to the above policy and procedure. The contact information for the Minnesota State System Office is: Academic and Student Affairs, Minnesota State System Office, Wells Fargo Place, 30 7th Street E, Suite 350, St. Paul, MN 55101-7804.

The above processes do not apply to other complaints or grievances subject to different procedures specified in board, college, or university policies, procedures, or other regulations, including:

  1. Academic grade disputes. Grade appeals must be handled by completing the Academic Student Complaint/Grievance form and specifying a "Grade Review" option as the complaint topic.
  2. Students may report complaints regarding improper, unfair, or arbitrary treatment by an employee of the college using the Non-academic Complaint/Grievance form.
  3. Members of the public may report an unpleasant experience at one of our facilities, events, or with one of our staff members using the Public Complaint form.
  4. Student complaints regarding discrimination or harassment are subject to Board Policy 1B.1 and System Procedure 1B.1.1, and filed with Normandale's Human Resources. Students may also complete the Sexual Misconduct form.